Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My Babies, My Body

I just wanted to share a paragraph from Sheila Kitzinger's The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth. It's the last paragraph on the Expecting Twins chapter, under "Your Babies, Your Body". She's a world famous writer about birth and homebirthed her twins by herself. Anyway, this has been my "mantra"

(Italics are mine)

Bear in mind that a multiple pregnancy may increase your blood pressure, cause aches and pains and varicose veins, and put stress on your pelvis, simply because there are two or more babies bouncing around in there and being nurtured by your body. Yet there is no reason that the whole experience of pregnancy should be medicalized. It can be an exciting and happy experience in which you are in charge. Examine the evidence, weigh the advice the professionals give you and come to your own decisions about the birth.


This really reinforces my belief about birth and backs up our feelings for how and where our babies will be born.

2 Comments:

At 6:47 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Go Erin! I love Shelia's books... she is so empowering to women. I know you can do it- and you have the knowledge to do it right.

 
At 11:00 AM , Blogger Emily said...

Another book I need to read? :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home