Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Stressing out

I will be so glad to have my appointment on Friday.

My first appointment at 12 weeks was exciting to find out we were expecting twins, but very disappointing in discussion with my OB. He said that he did have experience with twins and breech birth. Breech birth is a big issue, because a lot of the time one baby is breech. He then proceeded to tell me that C-section is safer for breech birth. So I said, what about the statement put out by ACOG (he's a member) that said they had to retract C-section being safer and restate it as equal risk by C-section or vaginal birth. He says, oh no no, C-section is safer. This makes me upset. Here's why. He uses the ACOG statements only when he feels like it. He ignores them for me, yet insists on them for other women. Basically he uses what he wants to get the results he wants. So I guess he's willing to "let" me "attempt" a vaginal birth if XYZ are in place. We are writing up an in depth list of questions for him for Friday. But wording them in a way so as to find out his real philosophy and intentions.

I attended a waterbirth presentation by Dr. Tanit a couple weeks ago. He is more like a midwife than a doctor. He trained my OB, started the natural birth and waterbirth suites at my hospital, and is just an amazing man. At 70 years old, he has over 40 years experience and just a 5% c-section rate... well below the World Health Organization recommendations! I was able to talk with him at length, and he said that even if they were double breech, vaginal birth is still better for twins, especially since this is my 3rd pregnancy. Too bad he'll be back in the UK when they're due! He was so positive about my situation but said pretty much "good luck" at finding a provider who wouldn't emotionally blackmail me into a C-section. Sooo, not looking good huh.

My favorite quote from his presentation: "Obstetrics is the number one medical profession that does not practice evidence-based care." I totally agree... based on routines, not current research.

Friday's appointment should glean some good info for Dayton and I to make some better decisions.

Here are two pictures (finally). The belly pic I took tonight. The ultrasound is from 8 weeks ago. Hopefully I'll have new ones to share soon!



5 Comments:

At 5:44 AM , Blogger Laura said...

wow-didn't know c-section was so common w/twins. Will be praying for y'alls meeting on Friday!
And love the pics-I don't think you look that big, though. Just cute!

 
At 11:52 AM , Blogger rcsnickers said...

I am having a fun learning about twins... though not as much as you but just small info. I read the other night that twins are born early because when the uterus gets to full term size it triggers birth. That explains why they come early... most of the time!

You know we are praying for your birth and God's direction, provision, etc. I know it can be down right discouraging, but don't let. Stay focused on the Lord and his plan for your birth!

Letisha

 
At 11:56 AM , Blogger rcsnickers said...

Forgot to mention-- love the pictures! You look great!

Letisha

 
At 7:14 PM , Blogger Emily said...

Enjoyed the pictures! I guess you will be finding out the gender(s) very soon!
The doctor you mentioned sounds wonderful...it is a shame he will be in the UK when the baby comes. It's discouraging that you may be pressured into a birth experience you don't want. You're very well-informed, though, and God is in control. We're praying for you & the twins.

 
At 3:04 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

LOVE the pictures! Especially the belly shot: two babies in there! We'll be praying for you and the babies, especially for a safe, natural birth. You're a strong, capable woman with a God who can do absolutely anything: I'm sure you'll be fine. Congrats again!
Liz

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home